Thursday, October 20, 2011

Curried Couscous with Chicken and Zucchini


Picture originally found on http://batter-splattered.typepad.com

First off, I apologize for not following up with Part 2 on my previous post yet. My dissertation proposal is due to my committee this coming Monday, so I've been a little wrapped up with that. It is coming, but in the meantime, I want to share with you a recipe I tried and loved this week!

I downloaded the Epicurious app on my iPhone and found this amazing dish. Without further ado, here it is:


Curried Couscous with Chicken and Zucchini

Curried Chicken and Zucchini

I sliced up about 4-5 chicken thighs (the recipe calls for chicken breast but I tend to buy natural, vegetarian-fed chicken which can get expensive), rubbed in some salt and pepper, and sauteed the chicken until the pieces were golden brown. I removed the chicken from pan into a separate plate. I cut up 2 small zucchini into matchsticks and cooked them in the same pan as the chicken, seasoning the zucchini with salt and pepper. I then transferred the zucchini to the plate with the chicken.

I crushed two cloves of garlic, and cooked it with about half an onion in butter until the onion was softened. I then stirred in 1 tsp of curry powder before adding in 1 cup of chicken broth. I brought the mixture to a boil until it was reduced by half. I added in 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream and brought the mixture to a boil again until it was thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. I then turned the heat off and let the sauce sit.

I stirred the chicken and zucchini into the curry sauce and heated the mixture over moderate heat. I seasoned the mixture with salt and pepper, and stirred in some coursely chopped cilantro

Couscous

I sauteed another half an onion in butter until softened, and then stirred in 1 tsp of curry power. I then added some butter and 1 1/4 cup of chicken broth, bringing the mixture to a boil. I stirred in about 1 1/4 cup of couscous, and seasoned the mixture with salt and pepper. I then turned off the heat, and let the mixture stand. I cut up about 2 tbsp of butter and stirred it into the couscous. I then let the couscous stand for another minute. I chopped up some cilantro and stirred it into the couscous. I then added in a little more salt and pepper. 

YUM! I squeezed some lime into the dish before indulging. Some thoughts - next time I try this recipe, I may use a red onion instead of white onion. I may also add some dried cranberries into the couscous.

No comments:

Blog Archive