Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Kitchari Recipe

I made my first meal since getting back from vacation. To settle me back into a routine, I made Kitchari which is meant to be a balancing and nourishing meal according to Ayurveda. I added in sweet potatoes and broccoli from my CSA produce. The result turned out to be delicious!


Here is the recipe:
1/2 cup Basmati Rice
1 cup Mung Dal
2 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp Cumin Powder/Seeds
1 tsp Turmeric Powder/Seeds
1 tsp Coriander Powder/Seeds
1 tsp Fennel Powder/Seeds
1 tsp of Mustard Seeds (only if you are feeling a bit lethargic)
Vegetables of Choice
7 cups boiling water
salt to taste

1. Wash Rice and Mung Dal separately
2. In a large saucepan, heat ghee. Cook any seeds you are using in the ghee until seeds pop
3. Add in Mung Dal, Cumin, Coriander, Fennel, and Salt and pour in 7 cups of boiling water. Bring mixture to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Dice Vegetables and stir into saucepan along with Rice. Bring mixture to boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Add water if necessary, but make sure all water is absorbed before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Blog Archive